The Legal Secretary assists Archdiocesan counsel in processing caseload (as outlined in responsibilities) of the Office of Legal Services. Anticipates the needs of the attorney.
The Legal Secretary assists the attorneys in administration of special consultation matters, inclusive of all tasks and especially in coordination with the Office of Insurance, the Vicar for Clergy in Professional Misconduct, Office of Protection for Children and Youth, Assistance Ministry and outside vendors i.e insurance administration and outside counsel. This position requires a keen sense of the importance of confidentiality.
*Telephone: Receives, screens and processes telephone messages. Checks voice mail at least twice daily; morning and noon. Records voice mail message for timely information.
*Mail: Opens, sorts, prioritizes and distributes mail. File numbers should be entered on receipt of incoming documents.
*Calendar: Maintains Attorney’s calendar and, on instruction by Attorney, calendars court dates and other important dates pertaining to certain files. Provides Attorney with calendar/tickler each morning. Coordinates meetings as needed.
*Correspondence: Drafts correspondence when asked to do so by an Attorney or Legal Administrator. Types and formats correspondence prepared by Attorneys or Legal Administrator. Follows office procedure for efficient document management. Prepares final copy for distribution. Maintains chronological and correspondence copy of all documents. Maintains forms library.
*Copying/Faxing and Scanning: Copies and faxes documents as needed. Scans documents as needed.
*Provides file support: Legal Secretary is to serve as support to attorneys on all files. File support expected includes the following:
- Enters new matters into legal management system and prepares files for Attorney review.
- Files all documents in both electronic and paper files for efficient retrieval by all staff.
- Dockets all files that have been diaried by Attorneys;
- On a daily basis, pulls the files that the Attorneys have diaried for that day. Reviews files to ensure all documents have been correctly filed.
- Closes files.
- Assists Legal Administrator in maintaining file management system.
*Reception: Greets visitors and announces them to attorney.
*Legal Documents: Drafts/formats/edits legal documents. May be required to file court documents in appropriate civil agency.
*Law Library: Maintains law library. Files new releases in appropriate location, insuring timely research material.
*Responds to inquiries: On instruction and at the direction of an Attorney, responds to telephone, correspondence and in-person inquiries from parishes and agencies regarding routine legal issues, and reports to Attorney on any such information given to parishes or agencies.
Supports team members: Office function requires team approach. Each team member is expected to assist other team members when possible on an as needed basis.
- High School Diploma required, some College or Administrative Education or Certification preferred
- Three or more years in secretarial or administrative role, preferably with one to three years experience in legal support service or equivalent
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite including Microsoft Word
- Must be able to type and format letters accurately.
- Candidate must have strong communication, organization and problem solving skills.
- High level of attention to detail
- Must be able to work independently
- Availability to work overtime as needed.
- Must demonstrate understanding, respect and support for Catholic Church teaching, mission and values