We are thrilled to announce that, in partnership with Alliance for Catholic Education at Notre Dame University and the Archdiocese’s Office of Catholic Schools, we will be part of a new early childhood program to engage families in our community. We will be piloting this program in one of our PK3 classrooms for the upcoming school year and hope to expand the program to additional PK classrooms in the near future.
This program will provide Spanish language instruction every day, to connect students with the language and culture to support their learning. Learning in two languages helps students’ mental health, academic performance, and career readiness. We are excited to begin offering this educational enhancement to some of our youngest SMA students.
- For the 2021-22 school year we will be offering one Language Intensive PK3 classroom, for our “older 3’s”. Currently enrolled families with “younger 3’s”may also request to be part of this classroom. Space is limited and will be granted on a first-come, first-served basis.
- The program will use a cross-linguistic instruction model in the classroom that will strengthen children’s literacy skills in both languages. Studies show that, at an early age, learning in two languages helps students’ mental health, academic performance, and career readiness.
- The program focuses on sharing of faith, knowledge, language, and culture in the Spanish language. Through celebrating the linguistic and cultural diversity of the Catholic church, children will grow in their faith. This program is a creative way to build and share language, for children at an early age – when they can most easily absorb languages.
- The program will not be a dual language program. Rather, students will receive at least 30 minutes of daily instruction in the Spanish language, during a specified time of the day. The students will receive instruction in English the remainder of the day.
- The Language Intensive Program will be led by a native Spanish language speaker. She will receive training by the University of Notre Dame this summer, and in the coming year on a monthly basis.
- If you know a family interested in learning more about our wonderful school community and this exciting Early Childhood Language Intensive Program, please email our Director of Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org.